• Show
Clear All
  • Rusty.Harris
    Senior Tech

Site Contributor
    500+ Posts
    • Jan 2021

4505 weird call of the week

Tech had a strange one I have never seen.
    Customer said the machine was turning itself off & on EXACTLY at one hour intervals.
    Machine was at 1700, flashed to 1900. Next day customer said it was still doing it.
    Tech called them, had them pull the network cable and see what happens.
    It did the power off/on by itself again.
    Pulled the CSV files from the cloud. Power log showed nothing but on on on on on.
    Nothing in the 80 codes were bad in MMDT2, power saver, nothing really said what
    was causing this.
    Tech went back, pulled the system board cover, cleaned the fan, memory stick,
    did the reset on the memory...still did it.
    He set the clock for xx:58 minutes and watched. At xx:02 after the hour, the machine
    powered off then on. And, it didn't power down normally. He said it was as if someone
    pulled the power cord going off, not everything goes dark, but the power light remains
    on. He said it was dead dead. Stayed off for 2-3 seconds, then booted up again.
    He set the clock again to xx:58 and at xx:02 it did it again.

This time, he formatted the HDD, reloaded the firmware and he set the clock again
    to xx:59 and at xx:02 it did it again.
    THIS time, he blew out the machine using the 08-8615/16.
    Reset the clock to xx:59...at xx02 it was still running. He called me and I told him now
    restore the clone file and see what happens. He did, set the clock again to xx:59
    and by xx:14 the machine was still running.

Don't know what it was, but it's ok now.

Thought I'd pass that weird one on...
  • blackcat4866
    Master Of The Obvious

Site Contributor
    10,000+ Posts
    • Jul 2007

Re: 4505 weird call of the week

It sounds like there was some sort of internal shut-off timer. Kudos for pinning down the specific time range to catch the misbehavior.

I wonder if there wasn't some corrupt clone timer setting. Very bizarre. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Comment

• Rusty.Harris
      Senior Tech

Site Contributor
      500+ Posts
      • Jan 2021

Originally posted by blackcat4866
      It sounds like there was some sort of internal shut-off timer. Kudos for pinning down the specific time range to catch the misbehavior.

I wonder if there wasn't some corrupt clone timer setting. Very bizarre. =^..^=
      Well, that's what we were wondering...maybe it was cloned from a EB2 machine, but after getting it up and running,
      he put the clone file that he created before wiping it out, and it worked fine.

One other note, he noticed what appeared to be a light dusting of developer on the logic & system boards, along with
      the normal layer of dust. He went back in the machine history in EA and found that they had a developer blow out of
      magenta from a leaking oil seal that took out the gears on the developer unit. That entire unit was replaced.
      Just wonder if maybe some particles of carrier got on the board and gave it a lobotomy of some sort that took
      a brain unscramble to correct.

Comment

• blackcat4866
        Master Of The Obvious

Site Contributor
        10,000+ Posts
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rusty.Harris
        ... Just wonder if maybe some particles of carrier got on the board and gave it a lobotomy of some sort that took
        a brain unscramble to correct.
        Here's something similar: I had a Copystar Harrier (CS-8030) doing some intermittently odd behaviors: Misfeeds J40, J41, J42, J43, & J44 (that's duplex misfeeds to you non-Kyocera folks). There were several causes for duplex jams, but they had all been addressed, with the problem remaining.

This model was well know for reducing the fuser drive pinion gear to fine red iron dust, but this machine had not quite reached the obvious stage where the fuser drive was skipping. It had however been sprinkling iron dust onto the duplex PWB for a good year. The board components had a nice dusting of iron, I'm sure creating some new conductivity paths that weren't there originally.

For this board it was too late, it required replacing. But on other occasions I was able to blow off the boards before damage resulted. As a protective measure I always carried around a couple of large car-door magnet sheets. Cut to size then position the magnet between the drive pack and the PWB. The magnet collects the iron shavings before they become an issue. This also works nicely when your stapler is sprinkling staple misses & trimmings onto the finisher main PWB. I've recovers a cup or more of stapler trimmings, and the PWB still humming along. =^..^=

Comment

• Logged-on
          Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
          • Sep 2010

I just got back from a 6516AC. They were complaining about a rattle. When I got there I found the copier was plugged into the only 20 amp outlet in the room, but the outlet was controlled by a motion sensor energy saving light switch. They put an oscillating fan in front of the light switch to keep the light switch from turning off the lights and turning off the copier.

Comment

• Rusty.Harris
            Senior Tech

Site Contributor
            500+ Posts
            • Jan 2021

Well, the machine did it again. Now it's back to powering off/on at 2-3 minutes past the hour.
            With all of the whacky problems we've had with ram modules, we're going to swap out that, before
            ordering a system board from Hytec.

One thing I DIDN'T know about Hytec. I was told by another tech that called them for something that
            if you get a board from them, and it doesn't perform well, you can call them back, give them the number
            from the sticker they place on the board, and they can look in THEIR history as to what the board's previous
            problem was.

Comment

• blackcat4866
              Master Of The Obvious

Site Contributor
              10,000+ Posts
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rusty.Harris
              Well, the machine did it again. Now it's back to powering off/on at 2-3 minutes past the hour.
              With all of the whacky problems we've had with ram modules, we're going to swap out that, before
              ordering a system board from Hytec.

One thing I DIDN'T know about Hytec. I was told by another tech that called them for something that
              if you get a board from them, and it doesn't perform well, you can call them back, give them the number
              from the sticker they place on the board, and they can look in THEIR history as to what the board's previous
              problem was.
              That's good to know. At a minimum, you can determine if it got sent back out with the same issue. =^..^=

Comment

Working...